- 1 lb pasta, such as fusilli, campagnelle, or something with plenty of twists and turns to hold cheese
- 1 lb uncooked turkey sausage
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 large portabella mushroom caps, finely chopped
- 4 gloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup SIMI Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed Maranzano tomatoes
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 15 ozs container of ricotta cheese, low moisture
- 1/2 cup parsley
- 1/2 cup pasta cooking water
- 1/2 lb fresh mozzarella, not packed in water, sliced in 1/2” slices
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Bring large pot of water to a boil for pasta. Butter a 9”x 12” casserole dish. For individual portions, use 1 cup ramekins, about a dozen.
Over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Remove sausage from casing and cook in skillet, breaking up into tiny crumbles with a wooden spoon until cooked through, about 7 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add onions and mushrooms to the pan and cook until translucent and broken down. Do not crowd the pan. If this happens, first sauté the mushrooms and then add the onion. Salt and pepper to taste. Add garlic and cook for 1 minute until fragrant. Add oregano, red pepper flakes, and season with salt and pepper again. Add wine and allow to cook until reduced to about half. Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
Salt pasta water and cook until al dente (about one minute less than package instructions). Combine parmesan, ricotta, parsley, sausage and pasta water with al dente pasta.
Drizzle about 1/2 cup of tomato sauce on bottom of casserole dish and pour pasta over sauce. Cover with another layer of sauce and slices of fresh mozzarella cheese.
Bake for 15 minutes until cooked through and for an extra crispy top, place under broiler for last minute. Allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve with simple salad or Italian bread.
Serve with Simi Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon