Mixed Bean Salad with Roasted Marcona Almond Vinaigrette
- 1 1/2 lbs yellow beans, stem off
- 1 1/2 lbs green beans, stem off
- Roasted marcona almond vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup toasted marcona almonds, chopped
- 4 tbsps balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 small shallot, finely minced
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley, tarragon and basil
- 1/2 cup rice bran oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- Pickled red onion
- 1 Red onion, sliced thinly
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup rice-wine vinegar
- 6 tbsps sugar
- 2 tsps kosher salt
- 2 oranges, segemented
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
Have a bowl of ice water. Bring 1 gallon of water to a boil. Add salt to water till you can taste salt approx. ½ cup. Blanch yellow beans first and until tender and then with a strainer pull beans out of water and place in ice water to cool down. Repeat with the green beans. Drain when cool.
Pickled Red Onion
Mix water, rice wine vinager, sugar and salt into a pot. Bring to a boil. Pour over the thinly sliced red onion and refridgerate till cool. Can be done a few days in advance.
Roasted marcona almond vinaigrette
Mix almonds, balsamic vinegar, water, honey, shallot, parsley, tarragon, basil, rice bran oil, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
Place beans in large bowl. Mix in pickled onions and toss with vinaigrette about 20 minutes before serving to marinate. Before serving mix in citrus segments, cheese.